Job Title: Firefighter/EMT
Opening Date/Time: Tue. 08/01/17 12:00 AM Eastern Time
Closing Date/Time: Thu. 08/31/17 11:59 PM Eastern Time
Job Type: Full-Time
Location: 103 W. Tabb St., Petersburg, Virginia
Description, Functions, and Qualifications
All applications submitted since December 2016 will be considered. Do NOT submit a second application.
Engage directly in firefighting, rescue, fire prevention, equipment operation and maintenance, fire station maintenance, community service, training activities and Emergency Medical Services (EMS) functions in the Fire Suppression Division; does related work as required.
An employee in this title will perform hazardous tasks under emergency conditions. Perform routine duties in the maintenance of fire stations, trucks, ambulances and other equipment, and the incumbent demonstrate excellent physical conditioning and aptitude for mechanical work. The employee trains to become familiar with modern firefighting, fire prevention, training and EMS methods and procedures and strictly adheres to departmental rules and regulations. The incumbent may be assigned to duties in Suppression Division to include EMS or Advanced Life Support patient care. The work is closely supervised and inspected.
- Examples of Work (illustrative only):
- Work on assigned tour of duty at a fire station;
- Respond to fire and EMS incidents and assist in emergency activities;
- Perform a wide variety of routine tasks in connection with the maintenance of fire station quarters and grounds;
- Repair firefighting and EMS tools and appliances;
- Service motorized fire and EMS apparatus as directed;
- Engage in fire prevention work by inspecting the construction and exposures of buildings for fire hazards and to determine the location of standpipe, sprinkler intake and control valves as assigned;
- Based on levels of training, operate fire pumpers at hydrant;
- Based on levels of training, operate fire aerial equipment;
- Operate EMS equipment;
- Keep records and make reports;
- Make pre-planning inspections of business establishments and prepares drawings of the layouts of these establishments;
- Inspect homes within assigned district for fire hazards;
- Drive and operate fire and ambulance apparatus;
- Clean, maintain and make minor repairs to firefighting and EMS equipment;
- Participate in periodic fire drills;
- Make periodic inspections of buildings for fire hazards;
- Provide Basic and/or Advanced Life Support services;
- Perform community service activities, including conducting fire and EMS safety and prevention and conducting demonstrations;
- Participate in in-service training daily; and
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Physical Requirements –
- Ability to climb a ladder and work from heights;
- Ability to work in confined spaces, ability to work in and around temperatures extremes (both heat and cold);
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle; and
- Physical conditioning which permits the activities necessary in and inherent to the firefighting profession.
Graduation from high school or, successful completion of a GED Program.
Must be at least eighteen (18) years of age.
Preferred Qualifications: Possessing current certification(s) in the following -
- Firefighter I
- Firefighter II
- Emergency Medical Technician - Basic (State or National Registry)
- Emergency Medical Technician - Intermediate (State or National Registry)
- Emergency Medical Technician - Paramedic (State or National Registry)
- Emergency Vehicle Operator's Course (EVOC)
Final applicants will be required to submit to a criminal history investigation and possess a valid Virginia driver's license consistent with City of Petersburg Administrative Regulation – Employee Driving Record.
Must submit to pre-employment tests (written and physical strength/agility).
Must be eligible for and successfully complete a Commonwealth of Virginia EMT-B Certification course as part of the Division of Fire Recruit Academy.
Requires a pre-employment physical examination and/or medical tests and substance-abuse tests administered by the City of Petersburg or their contracted vendors, the components of which are based on and appropriate to the specific sensory and/or physical demands of the position.
Employees in this position are subject to random substance abuse testing.
Good Driving Record Requirements consistent with the City of Petersburg's Administrative Regulation - Employee Driving Record:
Must not have more than six (6) demerit points within the past thirty-six (36) months;
No major violation within the past thirty-six (36) months; and
No misdemeanor suspension within the last twenty-four (24) months.
Americans with Disabilities Act Compliance: The City of Petersburg is an Equal Opportunity Employer. ADA requires The City of Petersburg to provide adequate accommodations to qualified persons with disabilities. Prospective and current employees are encouraged to discuss ADA accommodations with management.